ONLINE SECURITY TIPS
With the growing variety of mobile devices, social networking sites, and online offers, it is important to protect yourself and your computer. We’ve compiled this list of 12 cyber security tips to help you take action now.
1. It is very common for exploit tools to use old attacks that have subsequently been fixed. Make sure you have the latest version of all software.
2. Try to avoid your full or partial Social Security number as a Personal Identification Number (PIN), user ID or password.
3. Rather than linking Facebook, Twitter, newsgroups, forums, shopping and banking sites to one email address, use multiple addresses. As a minimum, use one for social activities and one for financial business.
4. Every time you are asked for your personal information – whether in a web form, an email, a text, or a phone message – think about whether you can really trust the request.
5. Keep your firewall turned on.
6. Don’t put an unknown flash (or thumb) drive into your computer. If it has a virus, it could infect your computer.
7. If you see an ad or an offer that looks good to you, take a moment to check out the company behind it. Type the company or product name into your favorite search engine with terms like “review,” “complaint,” or “scam.” If you find bad reviews, you’ll have to decide if the offer is worth the risk. If you can’t find contact information for the company, take your business elsewhere.
8. Make sure that your password is 8 to 10 or more characters and combines letters, numerals, and symbols. Do not use the same user ID and password for your financial accounts as you do for other sites.
9. Try to make a screen lock on your mobile device.
10. Do not respond to urgent email claiming to be from a bank or any company that requests your account information or personal details. Forward these emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. Some attacks now do permanent damage that cannot be reversed. Whilst most attacks are still focused on reputation damage or fraud, these attacks can be extremely damaging. A tried and tested backup procedure can save you severe pain.
12. Educate yourself about social engineering. Take a trip to the Symantec website for a brilliant briefing on the subject.